If you’re buying a home, it can be quite a hassle to think about appliances during the complicated process. Amidst trying to find a house and qualify for a loan, you might not be thinking about what homes come with appliances or not, or the type of appliances you want. But on move-in day, you don’t want to get caught without a fridge, or perhaps worse, a faulty one.
Be sure to inspect what your home will be coming with, if anything, and if not, be sure to have a plan to what to upgrade to. Plus, it could be a great time to finally get a dream appliance you’ve been wanting. For those who don’t know what they’re dream appliance would be though, we’ve got you covered.
Stove and Oven Upgrades
There are different factors to consider when it comes to choosing the right stove or oven for you and your family. You can choose the right appliance by considering the location where it will be placed, the color scheme of the kitchen, the types of food that your family usually cooks and the price of that particular appliance.
Generally, there are two different types of ovens:
- Conventional oven. A conventional oven has a stationary heat source at the bottom of the oven, and it usually has random pockets of air in the oven space, causing food to cook unevenly much of the time. These ovens are usually the cheaper option.
- Convection oven. On the other hand, convection ovens differ in the fact that they use a fan to distribute the hot air inside of the oven. These ovens last longer, but the fan requires a motor that can break easily, and the oven is rendered useless if the fan is not the correct size for that particular oven.
Aside from the type of stove itself, there are three different types of heat sources that can be present in each type of stove. For example, there are stoves powered by gas, electricity and steam:
- Gas stoves. Stoves powered by gas give you more control over the amount of heat that’s exposed to the food. Gas stoves are also better for baking, have a shorter preheat time, require low maintenance and give off moisture, reducing the chances of your food becoming dry.
- Electric stoves. Electric stoves are reliable, less expensive and easier to operate. On the downside, stoves powered by electricity take longer to preheat and have uneven heating spots in the oven space.
- Steam stoves. Stoves powered by steam heat tend to be healthier, but they shouldn’t be considered when the food is meant to be crispy.
There are typically three different types of refrigerators that work well for homes with families:
- Top-freezer model. The most common type of fridge is the top-freezer model, which features a freezer located at the top.
- Bottom-freezer model. The bottom-freezer model features a freezer located at the bottom of the refrigerator. Both types of fridges are popular for their ability to fit basic needs as well as their affordable price. You can choose between the two types based on whether you and your family would rather bend down to reach the freezer or reach upwards to access the freezer items.
- Side-by-side refrigerator. The last type of refrigerator is the side-by-side refrigerator. This model is popular for its ability to let you easily access both the freezer and the fridge. These models are often narrower and take up the least amount of space.
Related: Top 5 Refrigerator Styles Compared
There are generally three different models of dishwashers that you can use to wash your family’s dishes:
- Versatile freestanding dishwasher. The most common type of dishwasher is a versatile freestanding dishwasher. They have the ability to fit under the counter to save space, or they can stand on their own since they offer finished sides.
- Compact dish-drawer dishwasher. Another popular version of dishwasher is the compact dish-drawer dishwasher. These versions fit under countertops with cabinets. They don’t come with finished sides.
- Fully or semi-integrated built-in model. These dishwashers fit even more conveniently with your cabinets because they have the same design on the door as the design of the surrounding cabinets.
Overall, comparing the top brands for any appliance is essential for making the most informed decision about which appliances to choose. It can be difficult to understand which kitchen appliances are right for you, but after a good amount of research, you can find out which ones fit best for you and your family.