Kitchen Appliance Upgrades: 3 Cheap Ways to Upgrade Home Value
Kitchen appliance upgrades don’t have to be expensive. Even a few minor – and CHEAP! – upgrades can result in a major increase in home value.
You don’t need a half sub-zero fridge/half International Space Station with French Doors to drastically increase your home’s value AND make your life more convenient and fun.
Here are the 3 best:
First: Why Kitchen Appliance Upgrades?
Appliances might be an afterthought when buying a home – you’re running around, trying to get a loan, dealing with god knows how much paperwork – but they’re actually one of the most important factors in a home’s value.
We always include appliances if you get a home inspection in the Gainesville, FL area. And we’ve honestly been shocked at just how much more you can make on the sale of a home just by investing a bit into a few small upgrades.
1) Stove/Oven Upgrades
New stove upgrades could save you 20%-30% on your energy bills, all while providing you more features that make cooking easier and more enjoyable.
And most don’t cost much more than a few hundred dollars…
Factors to Consider When Buying a Stove
Before buying a stove, we recommend considering the following:
- Color scheme of your home
- What your family usually eats
Generally, there are 2 types of ovens:
- Conventional (The cheaper option): These ovens usually have a stationary heat source at the bottom. The issue here is that this routinely causes pockets of air in the oven, resulting in uneven cooking.
- Convection (The better options): These ovens distribute heat more evenly, resulting in a more thorough (and delicious!) cook. The downside is they require a fan that could break. Without the right type of fan, the oven is useless.
The 3 Types of Heat Sources
Aside from the different types of ovens, there are also 3 different types of heat sources. Bear with us!
- Gas: Gas stoves have a short preheat time, require little to no maintenance, and give you near complete control of temperature, helping you cook food exactly to your liking.
- Electric: The most reliable and easiest to operate. The downsides are lack of control and uneven cooking.
- Steam stoves: Steam stoves are healthier, but not recommended since they aren’t optimal for cooking most foods.
2) Refrigerator Upgrades
People with growing families love a modern fridge, and investing even just a few hundred dollars in an upgrade could pay back big time on the WOW factor.
The 3 models we recommend are:
- Top-freezer: The most common type.
- Bottom-freezer: The opposite of a top-freezer (Obviously!). It’s all about preference. Do you want to reach up or bend down? Parents with young kids may want the freezer at the bottom for easy access.
- Side-by-side: The narrowest and most convenient, these models are the most popular on the market. They also look great!
3) Dishwasher Upgrades
Why upgrade your dishwasher?
Modern dishwashers are far more efficient than past models, meaning a better clean at a cheaper price.
Your investment should easily pay for itself in reduced energy costs and higher home value. Not to mention it won’t keep you up at night!
Here are the 3 kinds you should consider:
- Freestanding: These bad boys can fit anywhere, giving you unlimited versatility.
- Compact dish-drawer: This is the type you are probably used to. It fits under the countertop.
- Built-in models: These are a step up from the others. They are designed to fit right into your countertop with the same design as the surrounding cabinets. They look amazing!
Kitchen appliance upgrades are the best way to increase WOW factor and enhance the value of your home. The first thing you should do is start researching the top brands and finding the right upgrade for you.
Consider your budget, goals, and family needs, and from there start looking around for the right appliance!